Thursday, May 10, 2012

Episode II

One of the most important things to all of us is sleep.  While some of us get too much, others get too little. And then there's that unfortunate night where you get no sleep at all. That was me last night.

Usually I'm the kind of person that likes the room a bit cold, it makes being under those warm blankets a bit more comfortable. But lately I've noticed that I no longer want to be cold. I curl up under every piece of blanket I can wrestle away from my wife. Now whether this is just a change in my sleeping style or due to this weird virus I'm carrying around, I do not know. But my guess would be to blame the virus.

The virus has also increased my propensity to talk in my sleep. Yes, I talk in my sleep, and it annoys the hell out of my wife. Apparently I've done this for quit some time, but only a few people have ever said anything to me. Is it due to a deep state of sleep? Or it is more like a waking dream? "A waking dream?" you ask. I think it's that state of dreaming where it's almost real. Like you were actually living in that moment. You're not quit asleep, but you're not fully asleep either. I guess it's hard to explain.  But this talking in my sleep happens enough that no matter how I lay in bed, I start gabbing away. Except now, this virus is making it worse.

This of course disturbs my wife, who then wakes me, and tells me to stop talking. Like I have a choice! Unfortunately I don't have an ON and OFF button for this condition. Although I do have these nasal strips I can wear at night, but I haven't lately, so perhaps I should try them again. But I wonder if they'll help at all, because lately, I've been overly tired, to the point of exhaustion. And I don't even think nasal strips will help then. If you have any suggestions it would be most appreciated.

Oh and let me tell you, whatever this virus is, was making it hard for me to breathe, which then made it hard to sleep. Which is probably why I was in this waking dream.  But what else is weird, is that before I was even in bed, I was falling asleep on the couch. My wife had to wake me so that i could move to the bed. So here I was thinking I was tired, but then when it finally came down to the actual sleeping part, I couldn't do it. Every hour or two hours I'd be woken up or wake up, see the clock, and think "damn this sucks." At one point I must have been talking in my sleep so much that I even offered to move out to the couch.  But my wife insisted I stay in bed. By that point I was awake, which sucks, because tonight I have to go into work. (I work the graveyard shift, in case any of you were wondering). And I doubt I will get any more rest between now and then.

-- -- -- --

So while I was laying there awake, my mind drifted to the scenario that I offered up last episode for AnimeUSA. So here are my thoughts, from what I can remember:

1) The circus is lead by a dwarf, or a little person (depends on the setting). He's got a Scottish accent, a shocked red beard, and a balding head, on top of which is small tuft of hair. He wears a tall top hat, and a tattered ringmaster's outfit. It is black with red and gold trimmings, and spotted with aged stains and patches from tears long ago. But it wears on him well. Even his hands are covered in a black finger-less glove. His name is cliche, O'Reilly, but while he is the face of the circus, he is not it's true leader.

2) The player characters (PCs) for this scenario will be pregenerated. I will use a standard stat block, and make this a low powered game. Last year I ran a Star Wars Saga game that had the players at 10th level, which went well, but was perhaps too challenging for a convention game. So this year I'm thinking 4th or 5th level, which should give the players just enough power to make it through this scenario. But it'll need to be play tested before the November convention.

3) I need to challenge myself to make this game more free form. Give the players choices of what to do, but not force them to go in only one direction - as I am prone to do. I want to have "objectives", that while not crucial to complete all of them, there would be rewards granted later on for their completion. There was a game of Dresden Files that I was in, where the game had a final objective, but the players dictated where they went and what they did. There were Acts in the game, and eventually the plot moved forward with some kind of response from the GM. So before C could happen, someone had to at least do part A & B.

4) This is going to be a horror/thriller scenario. Descriptions will be crucial at describing the scenes and actions. If someone gets hurt, describe the attack, and how it nearly takes of the person's arm. If there's magic, describe how an acid attack eats away at both the flesh and clothes. Describing the smell of fear, and make the characters fight off fear effects. Most players think of their characters as fearless, but when they are just "common folk" they need to test their wits. I think too many heroes these days go info a fight and are immune to the fear of death, but I don't want that.

I believe I've got the bones to a good game. Just need to take all these concepts and put them down onto paper. Map out what I want to do, and go from there.

-- -- -- --

REMINDER: This blog is called Live from the Peanut Gallery for a reason, I was hoping my readers would actually comment on what was written. And it can be anything. One person told me in FB that I should narrow my blog to a certain subject, rather than be all willy-nilly (not his words). Do you agree? I need feedback, please.

It reminds me of Byron's podcast, Rho Pi Gamma, he asks for comments at the end of every show, and only myself and maybe one or two others will ever say anything. I find it hard to believe that after listening to a podcast, no one else has anything to say.  Even if it's just a simple word, like, "Awesome!" or "Cool show!" At least that's feedback. He even said he wouldn't mind negative feedback, "this show sucks," or "it's not long enough!" (one of my favorites).

All I ask is for some sort of comment. Thanks.


1 comment:

  1. Sleep good. Read a book on autohypnosis many years ago and learned how to relax. Helps me to sleep. Sometimes doesn't work, though. Like when I have some weird virus and my sleep schedule's been thrown out of whack. In which case I put on sunglasses at work to hide that my eyes are closed. And if asked, I have a ready answer: "Sick. Bright lights hurt eyes." ;P

    ReplyDelete